Maintain maritime advantage with confidence
General Dynamics Mission Systems’ increasingly innovative unmanned ASW solutions offer various levels of autonomy while seamlessly integrating with your force’s manned arsenal of technologies.
The result: a modernized and continuously robust defence suite against even the most sophisticated of emerging underwater threats.
THE ROLE OF UNMANNED ASW IN MODERN WARFARE
From the deepest of seas, to the water’s edge, to miles high into the skies, unmanned anti-submarine warfare solutions including USVs, UUVs and UAVs are key to sustaining an undersea advantage in the ever-evolving battlefield:
- Reduced risk to the war fighter. In removing the need for onboard personnel, unmanned ASW vehicles actively distance your people from the battlespace—significantly reducing the likelihood of injury or death in the most dangerous of situations.
- Persistent presence. With the ability to loiter within underwater environments, unmanned vessels enable military forces to maintain a continual watchful eye over specific locations.
- Superior performance. Compared to manual mapping methods, our unmanned vessels are able to perform underwater mapping detection functions much more quickly and broadly than humans.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
With Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) at the cutting-edge of military aviation, the Laflamme Aero’s state-of-the-art LX300 is being touted worldwide as a game-changer and force multiplier for surveillance and multi-mission operations.
Historic Unmanned Aerial ASW Demonstration
In 2021, General Dynamics’ industry-leading Distributed UYS-505 sonobuoy processing system was included in the world’s first self-contained ASW capability for an unmanned aircraft system—generating target tracks in General Atomics Aeronautical Systems’ successful demonstration of ASW capability from their MQ-9A Block 5 on a US Navy Pacific test range.
A historical feat, this was the world’s first-ever demo of an autonomous aircraft dispensing sonobuoys organically; monitoring, processing and controlling those buoys; and tracking them an underwater target remotely.
UNMANNED UNDERWATER VEHICLES
The Bluefin Robotics® family of products includes autonomous Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs) and related technologies for defence, commercial and scientific customers worldwide—enabling the detection, classification, localization and mapping of mines and underwater coordinates, as well as rapid environment assessment.
UNMANNED SURFACE VESSELS
General Dynamics Mission Systems–Canada is an active participant in the annual NATO maritime-sponsored REPMUS (Robotic Experimentation and Prototyping exercise using Maritime Uncrewed Systems).
In 2022 in Portugal, we demonstrated our Underwater Warfare Software capabilities integrated into an unmanned surface vessel, showcasing:
- How complex sonar sensor software can be modularized and executed on a number of geographically separated clients
- Humans can control the USV and monitor acoustic and non-acoustic data while being monitored and controlled from a remote operations center